Star Golden Hearts Award is an annual award by The Star and Yayasan Gamuda that celebrates everyday Malaysians who demonstrate extraordinary commitment to social work and promote unity among Malaysians.
Introduced in 2015, each year we invite Malaysians to nominate exemplary individuals or organisations who are then reviewed by a panel of judges. Of the hundreds of nominations received, ten winners will be selected.
SGHA is carried out once a year. For the 2023 award, nominations are open from 2nd June to 31st July 2023.
Malaysian individuals and organisations who fulfill the following selection criteria are eligible for the award:
• Unsung heroes who on a personal capacity, or as an organisation (NGOs/ social enterprises/ societies), consistently carry out social efforts that leave a positive impact on Malaysians and help build bridges between different communities.
• Efforts carried out should be innovative, with proven tangible impacts, and practise sustainability in its operations.
• Unsung heroes who demonstrate admirable values and strong leadership in encouraging social change in communities.
• Unsung heroes must be involved in the initiatives, including time, effort and ideas, and not just monetary contribution.
• Unsung heroes with a social impact track record of at least 18 months prior to their nomination.
Star Golden Hearts Award is only open to Malaysian individuals and organisations (Non-Governmental Organisations and Social Enterprises) registered with Malaysian authorities. Organisations based overseas are not eligible for the Award.
Yes of course. Feel free to submit multiple nominations for different unsung heroes, as long as they meet the selection criteria. However, it is not necessary to nominate the same nominee multiple times as only one nomination per nominee will be considered.
Nominations cannot be amended after submission. However, you may submit additional information about the nominations to the Secretariat at email@example.com.
Yes, nomination is open to the public and anyone can nominate their unsung heroes.
Yes you can! Self-nominations are welcomed as long as the nominee meets the selection criteria.
Information provided in the nomination form will be used for background research, verification and publicity purposes where relevant, solely for the Award campaign purposes. For more information on Personal Data Information, kindly read the award’s Terms & Conditions
No, it is free to submit nominations and all winners are selected based on judges’ discretion.
To submit a nomination, visit www.sgha.com.my and click “Nominate”. You will be directed to an online nomination form. Fill in the necessary details and upload supporting materials if any. Once ready, click “Submit” and you’ll see a thank you message as a confirmation that we have received your nomination. Do look out for the launch of Star Golden Hearts Award 2024 to nominate your unsung heroes!
We would appreciate if you could make every effort to provide as much contact information as possible. The Secretariat requires either an email address or contact number so we may contact your nominee for the next steps in the evaluation process.
Submitted nominations will undergo background checking to ensure the authenticity of the submission and to acquire further information before deliberation by the panel of judges.
Because of the high volume of nominations received, we are unable to respond individually to each submission. However, if your nominee is selected as a winner, we will contact you and your nominee through the contact information provided. We will also announce the winners via this website and Star Media Group’s media platforms and social channels. Be sure to follow us.
Star Golden Hearts Award is awarded to individuals and organisations who demonstrate extraordinary commitment to social work and promote unity among Malaysians. The focus is on impacts and not personalities, based on original, innovative, significant and sustained contribution to the community.
Since 2015, 90 winners have received the award for their selfless and impactful social work. For a full list of past winners, please click here.
All nominations undergo a stringent selection process as outlined below:
• Where necessary, the eligible nominees will be requested to provide additional information to aid in the judging process.
• All nominations will be checked for eligibility and accuracy by the Secretariat.
• Nominees’ profiles will be presented to the judging panels for rounds of review and shortlisting.
• Through robust discussions among the judging panels, judges will deliberate the merits of shortlisted nominees.
• At the final judging, ten SGHA winners will be selected.
• From the ten winners, Yayasan Gamuda will conduct further evaluation to select the winner of the Gamuda Inspiration Award (GIA).
• SGHA and GIA winners will be announced during the awards ceremony/announcement.
For the year 2023, winners were announced and celebrated in an award ceremony in November.
Winners will each receive a cash award of RM15,000 on top of a trophy and certificate to further support their selfless efforts. Winners are also eligible to be awarded the coveted Gamuda Inspiration Award, with an additional grant from Yayasan Gamuda on top of their accolade as a SGHA winner.
On top of that, winners are set to receive exclusive media publicity across Star Media Group’s various media platforms to help promote their noble cause.
You can reach out to the Star Foundation team/SGHA Secretariat at +603-79671388 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.